Wednesday 20 May 2009

Speaker Martin to go!

It is not often I make any comment on political issues but I have almost since he was appointed thought that Speaker Martin was not really the man for the job. When I have watched parliament programmes and he has been presiding he has always seemed to lack the presence of George Thomas or Betty Boothroyd. I am pleased he made the decision to step down rather than have the situation where he was removed from office (the first for three hundred years).
I note that the media are already looking at possible replacements and that the bookmakers are offering odds on them. Some of them I have never heard of but that doesn't mean they would not do a very good job and in fact it may be that one of the 'unknowns' (to me) could be an excellent speaker. I believe we need to pray for the whole situation in parliament and that whoever is appointed will restore some credibility to the Palace of Westminster.

No comments: