Saturday 17 July 2010

Thought for Saturday

“I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.” (Romans 1:16)

This is a verse that I really like but again it is quite challenging and one of those that is difficult to live up to. What a statement to start off 'I am not ashamed of the gospel' and I would hope that all of us who claim to be a Christian could say this but do we then live up to the saying?

I was thinking about this recently after I had preached and talked about the interesting conversations I had at work on Mondays when they asked me what I had done the weekend. Somebody had asked me if I really did this and I had said yes and they had said they couldn't do it. I do understand how hard some people might find this difficult but the second part of the verse should give us courage when it reminds us that it is the power of God for salvation. There is no greater power than the power of the almighty, and if God is for us who can be against us.

I suppose part of the difficulty as well is that we are worried about offending other people because it seems this is something that is prevalent in the minds of people these days.

I really do think that if we share the gospel gently and not take a sledgehammer to crack a nut there should be little reason for people to take offence.

1 comment:

PamBG said...

Amen. All we have to do is be able to articulate our own relationship and experience with God. That's called "witnessing". Once we are able to do that, we can leave the rest to the Holy Spirit.