Friday 8 January 2010

Young and looking for a job?

If this is you then the Bishop of Lichfield has a solution according to the Express and Star. There is a campaign to encourage the jobless to think about getting a 'job' as a vicar - young people will be sent to theological college and trained to become curates and deacons according to the article. Now it might be me but there are a couple of things that bother me about all this - firstly when did being a vicar become a job rather than a vocation? Secondly there appears to be no suggestion that those expressing an interest should be Christians which I would have thought should be an essential requisite for anyone thinking of entering the ministry.
I have to say I do think it would be good to bring in some new blood but surely not at any cost.

No comments: