Saturday 8 May 2010

Rattling some cages

I am preaching at one of the churches in our circuit tomorrow and think I may surprise them - I might even rattle a few cages as I have decided to preach on the Revelation reading. I think Revelation is one of those books we sometime try too hard to understand and explain rather than reading it and enjoying the picture that is painted of that wonderful city with the jasper walls and the river of gold - what a picture this is. I just hope I can convey the wonder in the morning and that the congregation will not switch off as soon as they hear Revelation!

1 comment:

Rev Tony B said...

Too late to help with your sermon, but you might enjoy this comment from a colleague:

"Has anyone else reflected how odd it is that one of this week's RCL readings - Revelation 22:12-14, 16-17, 20-21 - edits out the words in verse 19, "And if any one of you takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from you your share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."?"

Is that a "Hmmmm..." moment, or a "D'oh!!" moment